Africa Monitor

Africa Monitor Intelligence

Mozambique: ExxonMobil/Eni Consortium Explores Alternative Production Scenarios for Afungi

All scenarios remain open for the Area 4 consortium, controlled by the joint venture Mozambique Rovuma Venture S.p.A. (MRV), held by ExxonMobil, Eni (operators) and CNPC (70% of the exploration and production concession), on the future of the onshore investment in Afungi. GALP, KOGAS and Empresa Nacional de Hidrocarbonetos (ENH) hold the remaining 30%.

The Rovuma LNG development plan was postponed due to the effects of the COVID crisis on international commodity prices and also the decision to suspend the project by French company Total in 2021, leader of the Area 1 consortium, which alleged reasons of force majeure with the deterioration of security conditions in Cabo Delgado, especially in the district of Palma. READ MORE